Starting a weight loss program often means reevaluating not only your body and lifestyle but also your understanding of how healthy weight loss works. By familiarizing yourself with the meaning of weight loss terminology, you can have more productive conservations with your weight loss doctor and gain a better understanding of how multiple components work together to help you achieve a healthy weight. Here are a few key terms to add to your weight loss glossary:
- Calories: Calories measure units of energy. Your body uses calories to perform all of its functions and gains energy to do these tasks by breaking down the food you consume. If your body takes in more calories than it uses, though, it stores these extra calories in fat cells.
- Metabolism: Metabolism describes the reaction in your body that takes place in order to convert calories from food into energy your body can use. Your metabolism is constantly working, but the rate at which it works can change.
- Carbohydrates: Carbohydrates are a compound found in most foods that also provide your body with energy. There are two types of carbohydrates: simple and complex. Simple carbohydrates break down into sugar, while complex carbohydrates contain nutrients like vitamins and fiber.
- Body Composition: A person’s body composition is a measurement of how much of his or her body is composed of fat. Body composition can be a more accurate indicator of health than just weight because it takes into consideration your height and other factors.
- Appetite Suppressants: Appetite suppressants are medications that aid in weight loss. They work by sending signals to your brain that tell it you are not hungry, curbing feelings of hunger and making it easier to eat less.
- Cholesterol: Cholesterol is a type of fat produced by the liver that lines some organs and vessels. Cholesterol is necessary for your body to function properly, but if your cholesterol levels are too high, the thick lining can actually block your arteries, causing serious health problems.
Serving the Phoenix area, Valley Medical Weight Control combines fat-burning injections and appetite suppressants with exercise and a healthier lifestyle to maximize our patients’ weight loss results. Visit us online or call us today at (888) 502-5405.